Mesothelioma and asbestos exposure:
There is a thin layer of cells’ lining in the body’s internal organ which is known as the mesothelium. A rare type of cancer occurs in mesothelium is called mesothelioma. There are three types of mesothelioma.
First one is pleural mesothelioma, which is the most common form of the disease, accounting for roughly 70% of cases. It occurs in the lining of lung known as the pleura. The second one is peritoneal mesothelioma. It occurs in the lining of the abdominal cavity. The third one is pericardial mesothelioma. It originates in the pericardium which is the lines of heart. When an individual is exposed to asbestos at his or her workplace or at home, is may be at a risk to develop mesothelioma. The exposure to asbestos and the inhalation of asbestos are the main reason for developing mesothelioma in the human body.
Lawsuit process for mesothelioma:
If you are with the intention of filing a lawsuit as a victim of Mesothelioma, You need to maintain the sequence of the following steps –
• Free consultation: Before you file a lawsuit for your mesothelioma diagnosis, you will need a free consultation to talk about the various parts of the process. This will provide you with an opportunity to ask any questions you might have or go over any concerns about the legal process.
• Medical history and research work: When after the completion of initial consultation you choose to pursue a lawsuit in a favorable location like Houston, TX, mesothelioma attorney will start collecting data to help to build your case, including –
- Medical reports from facilities, that you received treatment for mesothelioma.
- Your employment history, military service records and any other document in favor of your employment history.
- Statements from witnesses like family members, co-workers, friends and product identification specialists
In Houston, TX, mesothelioma attorney will consider these documents helpful to build your case and make it strong.
• Asbestos trust recovery: After collecting necessary information your attorney will investigate the possibility of receiving compensation from an asbestos trust fund. Companies who have previously admitted liability for asbestos related damages, are in charge of these funds. If one or more exposure criteria of these trusts match with you, you may receive your remuneration quickly.
• Other recovery options: Not every company out there makes or has made products containing asbestos has a trust. Therefore, after the evaluation of potentiality for compensation through asbestos trust funds, the attorney will also assess whether your case may merit an action against any companies who have not fully admitted their asbestos liability. Your attorney will search for the best options available and suggest the best course of action for your case.
• Choosing the complaint venue: It is extremely important to choose the appropriate venue before filing a complaint. Which venue is best for your lawsuit can be affected by factors like –
- Calendars and scheduling concerns
- Timeframe of the process
- Verdict and settlement history
- State and local laws
• Filing the lawsuit: After the venue is determined, your attorney will file a formal complaint on your behalf.
• Discovery phase: Upon the filing of the lawsuit legal process will move to the discovery phase. Here lawyers of both sides will present information in an effort either support the complaint or undercut it.
In most of the cases, the lawsuit doesn’t reach to the next stage of the legal process. Instead of that most complaints are settled before getting to trial. So, if you have an intention of filing a lawsuit as a victim of mesothelioma or on behalf of a victim, you have a good chance of getting the compensation as you wanted.